Pages

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Donna Hay's caramel pear tart

This tart was an absolute hit.  I love Donna Hay.  Everything of hers that I have ever made has been delicious and a success.  And her cookbook, The New Cook, was one of the first to make it into my collection.
  Pears have just come into season and I decided to try this for the first time over the weekend, and I had numerous people ask me for the recipe.  So here it is, especially for Tania's aunty.  Give it a try and let me know.

Firstly turn the oven onto 160 degrees celsius.
You will need to make a basic pie crust,  roll it out to about 3mm.  Lightly grease your dish and line with dough.  Whisk 1 egg white gently and brush over dough.
Peel, halve and core 3 pears.  Though I wish I used 4... Simmer in a pan with 2-3 Tbs water with the lid on for about 6 minutes, until pears are soft to the touch.
In a bowl beat together 1/2 cup golden syrup, 1/3 cup single cream, 40g melted butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar & 3 eggs.

Decorate your pie dough with your pears,
and pour over your sugary cream mixture.  Bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown.
PS if you leave out the dough, you could have a wheat free puddingy tart...





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...