Pages

Monday 9 April 2012

Hot Cross Bun Bread & Butter Pudding

I always overdo it with the hot cross buns.  Probably one of my favourite things.  I  get giddy when I spot them in the shops for the first time..  Warmed in the oven, or just toasted and smeared with butter.  Delicious.  Every year I promise to bake them myself, but never seem to get that far.... 

Here is a little something to make with any leftover hot cross buns... Easter style bread and butter pudding.
You will need:
100g sugar
3 eggs
500ml warm milk
sprinkle of raisins
1 tsp vanilla extract
about 6 hot cross buns
butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
pinch of cloves

Slice the hot cross buns into about 4 slices each and spread both sides of each slice with a thick layer of   butter.  Place the slices into your baking dish and sprinkle raisins over bread.  I used quite a deep dish, but a shallow dish would work just as well, if not better, as there are then more chewy grilled bits on top...
 In a bowl mix the sugar, eggs, vanilla and spices (I just took a mixture of spice that were hot cross bunny from the cupboard.  You can omit these for a more traditional bread & butter flavour).  Slowly pour in warm milk and mix till the sugar is dissolved.  Pour over your buttered hot cross buns, and leave to stand for about an hour so that the eggy mixture can soak into the buns.  When the time is up, bake in pre heated 180 degree celcius oven for 30 - 45 minute.  Enjoy fresh out of the oven!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...