Pages

Tuesday 26 June 2012

The fox and vixen: hair extraordinaires


I am intimidated by hair salons.  They are either too zooshy or just too trendy for me.  Or too scary.  But I think at the tender age of thirty (one) things may be changing for me.  A little while ago, strolling up (and up) Kloof treet, I happened to stumble across the quaintest and lovely vintage style hair extraodanaires, The Fox and Vixen



Now anybody who has put two and two together would realise, I am slightly, currently just a little bit unemployed, and cannot not, definitely not, afford such luxuries as professional hair styling.  But.  Maybe. Sell a couple of prams on gumtree, and maybe, just maybe I can use a little bit to tame my hair.  And rid myself of that two tone affect that has occurred after trying to go blonder a few months ago.  Don't think I will try that again.  And the slight pink tones that I had acquired trying to rectify said two tone.  I needed a professional.


I have always loved all the very old school hair salons that dot the main road I live on in Sea Point. They are scattered between the more trendy new salons and african braiding salons.  And I will one day when I have a real camera, and some training, photograph them all.  Now having always wanted to try one of these salons, having only ventured into Roberto's Barber Shop for a fringe trim twice, where the lady stylists insisted I layer my hair more, and fizz out the curls... I could not dare attempt a tint, fearing I may come out with a purple rinse.


Gina has made my desire possible to have my hair done in a vintage style hair salon, with all the modern trimming.  The premises has been either a hair salon or barber shop since the fifties.  Prior to Gina's, the Fox and Vixen, it was the Vanity Box.   And there is a lady stylist who has worked there since a different era ( I think her name is Lauren) and who still tames the hair of the elderly who have been going there for a life time.


Jesse Kramer photograph

The original hairdryers still hang above each station, and add a quirky edge.  Floral printed lazy boys to lie in at the wash station.  Retro edged floral scatter cushions to feed the eyes. I felt so comfortatable, yet in awe.  Gina is so cool, with her horn rimmed specs and unassuming manner, and she makes you feel welcome, that you are visiting an extension of her home.

I was a bit nervous when Samantha, my stylist, was very new and quite young, having left her former life in jo'burg for cape town just 2 months prior.  But she did and awesome job.  I am again a dark brunette, and feel like me again.  And Martin loves it!  oh, and ps... rather well priced.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...