Pages

Tuesday 17 July 2012

how to make a piñata

photo by catherine boyd
I thought it might be fun to try make a piñata for Ariana's (Liv's friend) fairy princess party.  I remember the last time I tried paper maché,  I think I was about 10 years old, and I didn't finish it.  Warning: it takes a few days.

Step One
We decided on a heart piñata, and after searching high-and-low for an affordable heart shaped balloon, I had to make another plan: tape together 2 well blown balloon with masking tape.... you might pop a few balloons in the process.
Yes, I chose pink, but you may use any colour you like. And hearts on your washi tape or masking tape, is also optional.


step two
Bundle together a bunch of old newspapers, and start shredding: strips and bits.  Rather tear than snip, as the tearing leaves smoother edges..

step three
Mix 250 ml flour to about 200ml water, with an electric hand held mixer, so that there is less chance of  lumpy flour bits.  I like a thick-runny (does that make sense?) consistency that you can roll on to you paper bit with a teeny roller, or a paint brush, or fingers.  
You can use a thicker or thinner mixture, but just remember that it is the flour that makes it go hard... so the more flour, the better.



step four
Roll some mixture onto your paper bits and paste onto balloons. Cover the entire shape of the balloon and leave to dry overnight.  When it is dry, paste another layer.  I had about 5 layers all together.
Make sure that each layer dries completely.  If there is any wetness, mould will grow.

step five
Sweets?  Before pasting on the last layer, I made a small hole on the top of the piñata, and dropped the sweets in.  Then I pasted paper over the hole.

step six
Paint, glitter, stick.  I pasted on some white tissue paper before I started painting, so that there was no newspaper bits shining through.. you could also just paste a sheet of colour tissue paper on, if you don't feel like painting your piñata.

step seven
Make a hanging thingie.  You will need:  1 - 2m string / ribbon.  5 cm long dowel stick.  Tie the ribbon, very tightly on the middle of the dowel.  You can also glue the ribbon on, so that it is extra secured.  Make a small hole, where you want the piñata to hang from, that the dowel can slide through. Slip the dowel through the hole.  Make sure that the ribbon stays attached.  The dowel will turn vertically when completely in the piñata once you pull the string that it is attached to.  sorry I have no pics of this step, but I hope that make sense.

step eight
HIT, BREAK, MUNCH

send me you pics if you make one! would love to see.. x

photo by catherine boyd
photo by catherine boyd

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...