Pages

Tuesday 22 May 2012

the rainbow party cake





This cake did take some blood (seriously), yoga breathing and a bit of cursing, to complete.  But complete it we did!  This cake is so worth the reaction.  Yes there were literally gasps... Lauren (Lucy's mom) uttered that thank goodness there was champagne, else she would have run home.  I fear that Mariota's (a mom whose kids parties I used to organise way before husbands, children and myprodols) premonition may be coming true:  "One day when you have kids, you are going to be one of those mothers, that other mothers love to hate."  I took it as a compliment at the time, but now I see it as a bit of an omen. Thank goodness I am terrible at a lot of other mommy things: never on time for school, sometimes forget to brush teeth, couldn't find the ballet venue, forget playdates, cereal for dinner... the list goes on..


There were some bumps and bruises, but otherwise we nailed the cake.  I am new to fondant icing... not too mad about the taste, but i wanted a clean finish, and I nearly got it. (This is where the cursing and yoga breathing came into play).   


Otherwise I think this is my most favourite cake that I have ever made.  It was happy & fun.  Livi could help make it, and seeing her smiling with her little fists clenched up in front of her chest in excitement was magical.  

I hope it made up for last years cake.. when I was working 12 hour days and had a 4 month old Sophie.  Pretty much just scribbled her name on a plain sponge and butter icing cake.  I am too embarrassed to even put a pic up.

If you want to make your own rainbow cake, you have to use gel colouring.  A couple of years ago, this was an unimaginable product in South Africa, and I would not have been able to get the colours of the cake even nearly so vibrant, never mind all the shades.  A great tip I also learnt after researching some rainbow cakes came from One Charming Party.  They suggested that you clingwrap each layer of cake seperately and then freeze them.  This makes stacking the layers incredibly easy, and as you can see even liv could do it.


also check out rainbow party:


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...